What's new

06/24/17 Medano Pass

Jim

The Colorado Land Cruisers club out of CoS had a Medano Pass run last Saturday. We linked up with them at Wetmore and tagged along. There were four other vehicles; an 80, my old 40, another 60, and a Tacoma. The Tacoma brought up the rear to pick up the pieces which fell off the vintage iron. We went as far as the dunes, had lunch then went back over Medano and headed home.
The NPS website said the creek level was dropping. It was hub deep or a little more. There was not much mud. The sand was soft. Not many folks on the trail above the dunes but most of the campsites were occupied. There were at lot of people at the lower end of the trail next to the dunes.
The FJ60 ran great and we had a ball.

Jim

It is fun
All of the higher campsites were occupied. I would not want to camp at the lower sites due to the mosquitos. Middle of a bright, sunny day and they are everywhere.

ExplorerTom

Yeah, we came over the Pass the next morning and parked at the first parking area after you come down. We nearly got carried off! It was miserable.

Jim

Two of the guys were gathering info, pics and a vid for use on the trailsoffroad.com website.
Along for the ride were an FJ80, two FJ60s, my old FJ40 and a newer Toyota pickup. The truck rode drag to pick up any pieces which fell off the vintage iron.