What's new

Big Park, Utah?

REDONE

So, there's a big park named "Big Park" in eastern Utah, out in the middle of nowhere. South of Bonanza and SouthWest of Dragon. I kinda want to explore this area more thoroughly, but the funny thing is that I can't find out anything else about Big Park. It's not listed as either a state or national park, it just shows up on Google maps and ONE random parks website that lists it as a "cultural" park without stating the governing authority naming it a park.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Big+Park,+Utah/@39.7229119,-109.2195458,15.01z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8745e0dc6d8810c3:0x0e8fd1887ec3b23c

I grew up in Loma/Grand Junction and spent plenty of time exploring the boonies around the bookcliffs, but the last time I was in that area was 2009. I read in a Popular Mechanics about where potential replacements for Area 51 might be and that area was one of them. While I didn't find any super secret underground military spaceports, I did find that Halliburton had fracked the hell out of the area and put gates up all over the place. I also found two black toyota tacomas with police lights tearing ass cross-country in a gated off "environmental restoration area". While I like to think they were guarding a super secret underground military spaceport, I know it's far more likely they were Halliburton's Wackenhut goobers assigned to watch the gas wells wrecking the environment just to be douchbags.

So, irrelevant story aside, does anyone know anything about Big Park or have any preferred sights in that area? I'm thinking it may be a good uncrowded early camping/exploring destination while waiting for the mountains to thaw out.;)

REDONE

There definitely looks like some cool stuff in the area. About 5000ft north of that cattle pen looking thing you marked, there appears to be an abandoned earthen dam reservoir, and in that reservoir there's a light patch with vegetation growing in right angle shapes too.

REDONE

I'm leaning towards a late may/early June 3 day expedition to this area. Bomb out to Dinosaur after work on Thursday, head to fantasy canyon from there:
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/vernal/recreation_/fantasy_canyon.html
Fantasy canyon has been vandalized and damaged pretty hard in the last ten years so I kind of want to see what's left before it's before it's completely wrecked.

I know from my last adventure through the area that there are TONS of old homesteads and native american artifacts all through out this area. I'm going to contact Uintah county and the BLM to see what the situation for access is. I was pretty mad in 2009 when I kept running five miles down a spur road just to find a locked gate but from what I understand the BLM has cracked down on the oil drillers and cowboys for doing that. I'm going to follow up and also see if I can find any astronomical events to coincide with the trip. There's almost no light pollution out there. The nearest cities are over a hundred miles away in all directions and the towns within 50 miles are to small to have more than one or two stop lights.

UPDATE>>>
Well, I've sold the wife on a recon day trip to Dinosaur on the 14th of May, she and our daughter go to Seattle on June 10th. I might load the ZJ up and head out 10,11,12th for some Uintah county exploration!

Last edited:

REDONE

I hate work!!
I know! I really love my job and I love the company I work for, but the PTO policy not so much. I haven't got out of town since July of last year and had two weeks saved up. I had to burn it all up when my daughter was born in November; FMLA only kicks in AFTER PTO is gone. My nose has been to the grindstone (50+ hours a week) since I came back in December and I am running on fumes. I still love my job but I NEED a reset, the kind of reset that only comes from dirt road dust boogers, facial sunburn and sleeping under a star filled sky. With the little one only 5 months old, even that seems almost unattainable.

Re-negotiations with my wonderful wife last night resulted in a Royal Gorge trip may 14th (but at least I get to go the 285 route), but I'm going to eat an icecream cone in Dinosaur the weekend of June 10-12th. I've lived it in my mind so many times the last 24hrs that it has to happen in real life now or I'll go insane.:confused:

EDITED> Because I said 60hrs a week which is what it feels like but is exaggerating. To be honest I'm working 9-11hrs a day and most Saturdays, so more than 50 but not quite 60.

Just for reference, this was our 2014 adventure board.

Last edited:

REDONE

Well, 24hrs and at least I'll be on the road! Royal Gorge isn't a spectacular adventure, but it will be good to at least get some windshield time and stop at a few ghost towns along the way. I spoke with my last living grandparent last weekend (You gotta talk to granny on Mothers Day) and found that my maternal ancestors were original settlers of Coal Creek near Florence, CO (I already knew my paternal family settled San Isabel); and many of them are buried at Highlands Cemetery. Following maternal lines, I'm a Faber, Mother was a Swart, her mother was a Kelly, her mother was a Low, and her mother was a Young. I have a Masonic ceremonial sword engraved with the name John B. Young, which now I know was my great great great grandfather. While we're down there we're going to see the resting places for them.

I'm still going to eat an icecream cone in Dinosaur in June but this should help hold me over.;)

Last edited:

spacecruisers

There definitely looks like some cool stuff in the area. About 5000ft north of that cattle pen looking thing you marked, there appears to be an abandoned earthen dam reservoir, and in that reservoir there's a light patch with vegetation growing in right angle shapes too.
Did you ever go check this out? I found it on Google Earth today and it looks pretty much like featureless desert from satellite view, but I'm curious to see what you found out there.

Morris Yarnell

Tried to find info. Went to Expedition Utah, nothing there on it. Guess it is one of those places that remains a mystery till you go.