What's new

Day Trip Photo BS Thread

Brandon

Since many day trips dont really need a full write up... And we dont want to clutter the BS thread with on topic talk....

Went up to Deer Creek/Swan River and enjoyed the views. Still a lot of snow up there, and it was said to be completely clear, but the snow had washed back across some areas of the trail. Rain was moving in when we left, so I am sure it'll do it again.

On the trail to the cabin. It had been run at some point, the tracks were there, but the snow was wet and not passable.

Grey skies everywhere.

ExplorerTom

Went wheeling up Red Elephant Hill today with 2 rigs from the 70s. Valve cover leaks, fuel pump leaks, spark plug wires popping off, squishy brakes......... and a tire losing its bead on the wheel. What a day.

Got to use the ratchet strap method of reseating the tire. It was pretty cool. If anyone knows those Rotopak plates I carry on my spare tire- we used those to help compress the tire.

Brandon

Went wheeling up Red Elephant Hill today with 2 rigs from the 70s. Valve cover leaks, fuel pump leaks, spark plug wires popping off, squishy brakes......... and a tire losing its bead on the wheel. What a day.

Got to use the ratchet strap method of reseating the tire. It was pretty cool. If anyone knows those Rotopak plates I carry on my spare tire- we used those to help compress the tire.
That is one thing I'd like to do... Hands on re seating a bead. You only learn so much from a video.

ExplorerTom

So this is jacking up the front end to get the tire in the air. We had already ratchet strapped the axle around the frame to keep it from dropping out. The winch line doesn't have much tension in it- just enough to keep the front end of the truck from shifting to driver when it was lifted.

Here's the tire unweighted and waiting as I remove the Rotopax strap thing from my spare tire:

More conjiggering.

Here you can see the Rotopax plates in place. I don't think we had tightened the ratchet on it yet.

We could only compress the tire so much with the ratchet strap. We lowered the jack down some which was enough to push the lower side of the tire up to the rim. Then the air compressor was enough to seat it. Worked surprisingly well.

The rest of the trail was fun. It's a little washed out in spaces. It might rate a number or so higher than traildamage has it at now. There's a couple tough spots in there.

Because of the fuel leak on the other rig, we cut the day short and headed down Bill Moore into Empire and put it on a trailer. Still a really fun day.

Brandon

Got some cool pictures... This really isn't one, just one that i happened to transfer to my phone.

Bed time!

Brandon

Deer was west of Fraser

And the rest climbing up Rollins Pass. Was not planning on doing it, but when in Europe...

Pink clouds thanks to light pollution.

Saw three moose on the way down in the morning.

Brandon

Thanks, I wish the clouds would've went away, or not have been pink... Could fix it in PS but oh well.

Those trestles are pretty sweet, but it was a BIT unnerving walking out on them when the wind was howling ... and I had no cell service, at night time, and was alone. :) Only walked across the short one, the long one I couldnt light up the far side with my light. I'm sure they would still support a vehicle, they aren't missing any boards or anything... just a mental thing.

ExplorerTom

Either reopen the tunnel or allow a trail up and over the top. When I was on the east side, I thought it looked very feasible.

Brandon

Either reopen the tunnel or allow a trail up and over the top. When I was on the east side, I thought it looked very feasible.
Both are easily feasible, and from what I have heard/read, would come at no cost to Boulder County by private parties that offered to cover costs... But they are the ones that don't want it to happen due to their personal interests (which apparently is to close down all they can for MV use). Grand and Gilpin Counties have made multiple attempts to have the federal gov't enforce the law which states that the tunnel or the BWR)Boulder Wagon Road) that goes over the top must be open if the counties want it. But as we can see, its probably not going to happen until Boulder gets a non tree-hugger in office.

The Bill specifically created a narrow road corridor between the Indian Peaks and James Peaks Wilderness areas and states that if any of the affected counties (Grand, Gilpin or Boulder) request, the Secretary of the USDA will cooperate and assist with the repair of the Rollins Pass Road and until that time the attendant road (the BWR) will remain open to motorized use. Boulder County officials and the USFS-Boulder Ranger District have resisted the wording of the law and have closed the BWR. Both Grand and Gilpin Counties have made numerous written requests to the Secretary for the repair of Rollins Pass Road but to date there has been no repair of the road or the barricaded Needle's Eye Tunnel.
So by the way I see it... one with free time and a good lawyer could use the road, get in trouble with Boulder and then take it up the chain to the federal level and sue the crap out of Boulder when they violate your federal right haha :D
*I do not condone such activity.. just saying that it would be a good possibility for someone who did end up getting in trouble being up there.

Last edited: