What's new

Eclipse Viewing Jackson, WY Aug 21, 2017

Natebert

I'm planning a trip to go see the solar eclipse this August.

According to the internet http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps.htm we can get a really good view anywhere in the middle of Wyoming. I'm planning to head for Jackson and the Tetons. Camping, Hiking, and lots of other stuff. Suggestions for trails, campsites, and activities in the area are welcome.

I'm looking at 5 days Sat-Wed. The eclipse is Monday.

id-wy.gif

whole-us.jpg

REDONE

Ive been "scoping"(bad pun) this since I first heard about it last summer! I doubt I'll be able to make the trip with you, but I intend to get far enough north to be in the path. I want to see it, but even more I want my daughter to grow up to be a nerd, so I want to get pictures of her with the eclipse. On the other hand, my wife and I were planning a Tetons trip when we found out she was pregnant, so this might be a good opportunity to make that happen!

Be prepared for crowds!
http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming-prepares-for-total-solar-eclipse-tourism-rush/article_d30eba67-cb5f-57b2-8147-792ff44f8de2.html
And get your eclipse glasses early. The price has gone up, but there are still some reasonable deals on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Glasses-Solar-Shades-Black/dp/B007MD8E0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485270887&sr=8-1&keywords=eclipse+glasses
I have plans to be in Guernsey, Wyoming in the path of totality. We are participating in a project with college students capturing imagery from an upper atmospheric balloon. Our group (EOSS) will be tracking the balloon with APRS. For those coming up I-25 from Colorado, Glendo State park is also in the path. There might be few campsites still available.

Natebert

I picked up a 10 pack of glasses and will bring them along for the group.

Here's my plan:
I'm doing an Xterra in Aspen that Saturday morning and will leave from there for WY. I plan to camp somewhere around Rock Springs WY Sat night. The whole group can meetup there.
https://freecampsites.net/#!66127&query=sitedetails

Sunday we proceed to Jackson and find backcountry camping in the area. https://freecampsites.net/#!838&query=sitedetails
There should be plenty of time for some trails, hike, bike, whatever you want for the rest of the day.

Monday the eclipse starts at approximately 10:16am MST with the totality beginning at 11:35am. http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/communities/states/WY/Jackson_1878.htm
After the eclipse we'll go toward Lander and a couple easy 4x4 trails in the area. http://www.jeeptheusa.com/lander-jeep-trails.html

Has anyone found some more trails than these? Also, I'm still taking suggestions for any good camping spots in the area.

Tuesday return to CO.

REDONE

So my plans have come (EDIT> "are coming") together! I won't be "joining" up with you guys but I'll be adjacent if you all decide to head east from Jackson! I'm staying at dinosaur national monument that weekend, then headed up into the Badlands for totality! There's a dry reservoir I'm trying to verify access to that I want to view the eclipse from. Tomorrow, I'm headed to the BLM office on Youngsfield to do some research. Depending how that goes, I'll post back here with coord's for primary through tertiary OPs.:)
Obviously, the wind-torn, sun-scorched Wyoming Badlands would suck for camping, but I think a post apocalyptic dry reservoir would be epic for a total eclipse!

Last edited:

REDONE

UPDATE!>> Everything I looked at for Sunday night is booked, but at least I got my site for Saturday night at Dinosaur! Sunday morning I'll come looking for you guys! I'll try to tie off with you at the M&G if you're there. :)

ExplorerTom

With the potential for the Tetons and Yellowstone to be jam packed with people, I'm thinking more of dispersed camping anywhere within easy driving distance Monday morning into the path of totality.

REDONE

Yeah, I'll share what I find out at the BLM office tomorrow. The biggest challenge I've had with WY when I lived there is that it's actually a checkerboard of BLM and private land, and most maps don't show the boundaries accurately(some of the squares are less than 1/4 mile across). It's nearly impossible to tell if a gate is legitimate or put up by a whack-job Bundy type rancher or oil rigger that knows nobody has the time to fight them over it.

Last edited:

Natebert

Good luck and definitely let us know what you find. If you find some maps grab an extra set if you can. I'm leaving half a day for driving around and searching for camping but it could be crazy up there. Thanks

REDONE

Definitely! I remember the Delorme gazetteer for Wyoming is largely useless for back country travel in the boonies so I'm going to get better maps. However, the BLM is pretty proud of their maps, but with current and accurate property boundaries they're worth it.

We can figure out more at the M&G too, but like Mike, the region I'm looking at is the Rattlesnake Hills area. I've been scouring Google Earth looking for draws and gullies that might offer protection from the wind and sun. Fortunately my route only requires Sunday night in the desert.
I know we all know that the further you go to escape society, they more you run into those cast from society. With the exception of North Eastern WA, Wyoming has some of the weirdest weirdos out in the boonies. One out in Veedavoo rolled up at dusk, sat I'm my chair, told my girlfriend (at the time) that she was pretty 10 times in 2 minutes, then asked if I had any cocaine.

I'll definitely want to be with a group this time around!:confused:

ExplorerTom

Thoughts on camping in the Medicine Bow Forest area Sunday night, break camp early and then hit the road to get into totality Monday morning?

COBDR as a route to get up there?

REDONE

I could see the benefits of that. Its further east than this discussion has been so far, but it puts a Monday return in better probability.

We still have an issue with medicine bow being a high usage area, but I'll see what rec.gov shows. If everything that can be reserved is already taken this far in advance we can probably count on it being at capacity past Friday.

ExplorerTom

Casper and Douglas are in the path. There is some National Forest ground just south of there. Looking at the MVUM, there is dispersed camping allowed around the Laramie Peak, Friend Park area.

I doubt we'll be getting into any campgrounds up near that area. And I perfer to camp for free whenever possible.

REDONE

Totally!
Since we're all on different trajectories, how about we aim for a rendezvous for the event-horizon of totality? Nate is aiming for the Tetons/Yellowstone, you're aiming for straight up from D-town, and I'm constrained by my ladies and their demands.
The problem with trying to view it from the mountains/cities are that mountains make weather so there's increased risk of cloud cover and both are going to be crowded.
Check out this abandoned airstrip that I verified is on public land, directly on the center path of totality (evidence of military usage at some point).
42.866706, -107.490335

I've noted some other potential bivouacs on BLM land for Sunday night camping we can talk about more at the M&G. :)

Morris Yarnell

Had not planned to go but now I find that I have the 17th to the 24th open and am not going to sit home and miss this. Rather late to make arrangements for a place to stay and see this but I m going to have to wing it, so to speak. Talk at the M&G next Tuesday.

ExplorerTom

Matt- that looks interesting. What's that bizarre lake thing to the south? How do you plan on getting to the airstrip? From the north or south?

Also looks super exposed. ZERO shade. Bring lots of water.

REDONE

Yeah, that's NOT a proposed campsite, but an observation point. That stuff to the South West is an old uranium mine, don't know if it's still active, but I don't think so.
After some more research this evening, looking at camping along the Oregon Trail, more research to be done.
Morris, look forward to seeing you next Tues!

For the precursor of the eclipse I now have reservations in the Marvine campground in the white river NF for Friday and the green River campground in Dinosaur NM on Saturday. Sunday looks like boondocking and medicine bow is the contingency for the return trip. Fun!

Last edited: