What's new

Georgetown ice races!

Brandon

Who's done it before, I think the taco would like to go out and do it... I didnt do it last year in the XJ because I had zero traction on the ice/snow so I didnt think it'd be much fun.

Jim

Sometime prior to 1966 when the family left CO, we went there to check out the races. Friends of my folks went along as well.
Dads buddy had a '62 Lincoln Continental. He talked them into letting him make a few laps on the ice and a bunch of us kids rode along. He took it easy. Nice car, he did not want get into the snow berms.

Morris Yarnell

I used to watch this stuff when I was a kid back in Ohio. They had them on the river and I once watch the ice break and a car went down but the driver got out. Crazy stuff.

Brandon

I've seen a few meetup dates. Are there certain date that are open to the public or is it anytime?

Brandon

I'm back! It's this coming Friday for the fun day.
The website for the races is severely lacking in details, how are the fun days run? Is this a circle track, are there a bunch of cars out at once or is it just one person on the ice at a time?

And is anyone planning on going on Friday? It says setup starts at 8, planning to have people racing at 11, and limited to 200 racers for the day.

starkman

I'm going, raced last year and will race all this year. In the FAQ area you click on the question and one will give track lay outs. Basically it is single elimination. The tracks are designed that two vehicles start side by side heading the other direction and you run one lap on the same track just starting half way around. If you miss a gate or hit a gate you loose. I bought some studded snow tires so I'll be running in Street Studs class. The fun day is great because you can run a lot and get a good feel for the ice. It's not fast for normal trucks but is for the Comp guys with their bolt studs.

Brandon

Ok cool. Sounds like how some autocross type stuff is done. Any advice for bare rubber peeps? I'm thinking maybe air down a little, the Duratracs work well on snow, so I am hoping they'll work decent on the ice surface.

And what time do you usually get there? If I go, I'll probably get there early to help setup since I like to lend a hand and get to check out the track.

starkman

I air down the front only, down to 15 psi. I have the front swaybar disconnected too. I can get the Explorer to rotate real well. It sucks to understeer so do everything to get traction in the front and no traction in the back. I get there early too because I get excited about racing and can't sleep.

Brandon

Guess I'll try dropping the pressure in the front... not sure about 15psi, but we'll see! Im excited already! This is just going to entice me to buy a car for autocross or rallycross.

So are there heats or different classes that alternate on a fun day?

starkman

The last time I did a fun day there was two tracks, one for the fast studs and one for bare rubber. It was just line up and go.

Brandon

Will the racing be a go if it's snowing? Looks likely for Friday from the reports.
Sounds like primo conditions to me!

And per the Q&A section of the website.. "We pretty much hold our events regardless of weather, so be prepared." o_O

We need a better selection of smileys on this here forum.

Brandon

Well, many people missed out, it was a blast. And wow... Ice is slippery!

Variety of vehicles, stock Ford Flex (looked like they borrowed daddy's car, and treated it like a rental), up to the 700hp jeep buggy thing. Mostly Subarus, jeeps and then a bunch of stock cars and trucks.

The first order of business was freeing 3 stuck Subarus, all got stuck at the same time. I freed a Subaru, rav4 and a jeep while on towing duty.

One of the first pictures I received. :) Tacos can fly.