What's new

Grand Loop including Kokopelli - Memorial Day Weekend

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
I've been doing a lot of digging and researching on Kokopelli and learned about what Randy at MYXJ has termed the Grand Loop. The loop consists of the Kokopelli, Paradox and Tabeguache trails and covers about 450 miles of very remote wilderness. Randy has done a great job of getting the base trail figured out put there are some gaps and we may have a little bit of an adventure exploring some of the roads so it should be a good time.

I'm budgeting 5 days to run the trail in a relaxed manor so we don't have to rush it. I would also like to do this as joint trip with our friends in Utah. I've talked to Kurt who runs Expedition Utah and they are up for trying to make it work. The plan is to head out Thursday May 21st and camp that night on the Kokopelli. We should then traverse the Kokopelli Friday and camp again on the trail Friday night. Saturday around noon we should roll into Moab and pickup the Expedition Utah group before heading out on Paradox. We camp on Paradox Saturday night and spend Sunday night on Tabeguache. Monday we finish Tabeguache and head for home.

If getting time off is hard you are welcome to hit the road early Saturday and get into Moab for a linkup and do the second half of the trip as well. Even though it's Memorial Day weekend I hope we are remote enough that we don't have a lot of traffic on the trail. Before I make this official and invite Expedition Utah I wanted to see what the interest level is.

Here's Randy's site with more detail descriptions including a GPX file. http://www.myxj.net/blog/the-official-grand-loop-4x4-trail-guide/

Clymber

if you can push it out a few weeks I would be more then willing to join the fun. Im on call that week and wouldn't be able to go

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
What dates are you on call? If it ends Friday you can drive to Moab and jump in with the group on Saturday.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Love this trip however we just have too much going on that time of year. Might be able to do a join up on sat. Will keep you posted.

P

PoppaJ

Crap! I made plans that weekend to go camping with friends. Let me know if you plan other dates. I really want to do this trip.

Jerry

Odomandr

Been tryong to plan this same thing a few days later to include Rock therapy, a tacomaworld group doing their moab event the weekend after memorial day. Some of them are doing the kokopelli Monday til wednesday and then the moab event through the weekend.

This however is better for me taking time off. I will be planning and seeing which weekend works best.

UUUUUUGGGGGGGG!! Kids are still in school so we can get out for this.
For everyone that might not be able to make it, how about we plan this for Labor Day weekend? Still gonna be a bit warm but open to other dates.

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not fully familiar with the trail but I don't think there are water crossings. Everything I read is bridged since it's originally a mountain bike trail. Do you know of any crossing?

ExplorerTom

I thought there were a bunch of crossings actually. Just back and forth over the same creek.

But there is a chance I'm confusing this with another trail that you can take from I-70 to get to Moab- but this one branches off in Utah somewhere. Wanna say Onion Creek.....