What's new

HAM radio antenna questions

ExplorerTom

so with a CB antenna, placement on the vehicle is key. Put it on the side of a vehicle like an SUV and you potentially risk losing sending or receiving in that direction blocked by the vehicle.

HAM radios seem to be much less dependant on placement simply due to how much farther and clearer they are capable of sending and receiving. Is this a correct assumption?

Also, what's the typical length of a HAM antenna?

overlandjeep

Which band are you talking? A full wave performs better than a 1/2 wave which is better than a 1/4 wave in my experience. A 2 meter full wave = 6.5 feet My Diamond dual mode (70cm and 2m) antenna mounted at my a pillar performs very well and is a 38" long Diamond NR770HAB which is a 1/2 wavelength design

Full wave CB is 36' long for reference

jerdog53

My understanding is the higher up on the vehicle the better. On 2M 70cm its not so much the antenna type or length as location.

jerdog53

I think it might be a good idea for all of us HAMs to get together one Saturday and talk radios do some testing maybe do some distance trials.

Morris Yarnell

As LR3 owners, where do you run the antenna wire to get it outside without a hole in the body? Hand held is not an issue but hard mount causes me concern with placement.

Odomandr

Morris, how about the bumper? I use hood hinge mounts specifically for my truck maybe an lr3 forum has someone

Sent from my SM-N910T

Brandon

so with a CB antenna, placement on the vehicle is key. Put it on the side of a vehicle like an SUV and you potentially risk losing sending or receiving in that direction blocked by the vehicle.

HAM radios seem to be much less dependant on placement simply due to how much farther and clearer they are capable of sending and receiving. Is this a correct assumption?

Also, what's the typical length of a HAM antenna?
I dont know about a hard mount, but I have noticed with the handheld that if you point the antenna in the direction of whoever you are talking to, it does give you a little more range.

jerdog53

As LR3 owners, where do you run the antenna wire to get it outside without a hole in the body? Hand held is not an issue but hard mount causes me concern with placement.
You know where the hole is in the firewall run the cable out that and to the hood, up the A pilar or front bumper....

Morris Yarnell

Yes Jerry, I have used the crap out of that hole. I already have about 8 things in that one. I mean from the headliner to the hole. Brad suggested using a path to the rear SAT radio antenna over the headliner. I had intended to remove the CD player and mount the CB up forward of the dome light. Already has power there.
Just have to create a platform large enough to cover the holes made for the CD player. That is the easy part.
This is why the other day I asked about another hole on the passenger side, maybe put the CB in the upper glove box and have that area dedicated to electronics and not storage.

Wheelman

I think it might be a good idea for all of us HAMs to get together one Saturday and talk radios do some testing maybe do some distance trials.
Jerry, I think this could be a great demonstration on the day of the radio event... especially with some mapping projected on a screen.

Morris Yarnell

I like that. Out of the way yet still it looks as though not too difficult to do. Thanks. I have the hood up this AM, I'll check how it might work on mine. Really don't want to drill holes in the body and this might be an answer.
Oh yeah...I see another project on the horizon.