What's new

Horns

Morris Yarnell

Looking to replace the weenie horn on the LR with something that does not sound like a Tonka Toy horn. This thing wouldn't frighten a squirrel.
Is there a reasonable 12V air horn? I have only seen them on the big Diesel rigs and those are 24V.

Last edited:

Morris Yarnell

uuuuuuhhhhh...not really helping. See, the question was about horns, not voltages. Don't care about voltages. Trying to find horns :)

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
What are you going for? There is the semi style air horn, the Italian style (Lamborghini, Ferrari) style air horn or just a plain air horn.
The semi style we all know, VERY loud but no character. Italian style I am familiar with as my first car (76 Lancia Beta) came stock with one, I believe it was made by Fiamm and was very high pitched. Really got everyone's attention. Just plain will be somewhere in between the two.

Morris Yarnell

Might not even have to be an air horn. Maybe something like the older style GM horn from a pickup. Thought about a salvage yard trip to find a reasonably louder horn than I now have. I appreciate the 'loud but no character' thought...really don't want that.

Morris Yarnell

Thanks. One of the things is that there is only one horn on the vehicle, not a pair that would have high and low tones. I think the PO had one removed. He also had 20 inch wheels installed when I bought it with very thin (diameter) tires...too much bling for me.
I really don't use a horn often but when I need it I would prefer that it not sound so anemic.
That being said...there is no way I am going to Land Rover to buy an original horn.

Last edited:

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the same thing Morris. I have never been able to find a second horn on any LR3. I think that's all they came with.

Morris Yarnell

I said my dealings with SEE, military and other rigs that were huge were 24V. ...and I was having difficulty finding air horns that were 12V. I have seen some on Amazon but the reviews were not favorable for them as far as reliability was concerned. It might be better to try for an older type 12V horn from a salvage yard.
I understand (thanks to your input) that not all are 24V, just the ones I have seen. Being in the parts world you would be better able to know what is currently available.

Morris Yarnell

Down by the Riverside or Over the Rainbow. But seriously, that looks like a bit over the top for me, too many of them.

Last edited:

Morris Yarnell

Went to a salvage yard yesterday that I had seen driving by, north on 25 East of Boulder. We were going to Boulder anyway for other reasons, had a nice lunch in Niwot. Found a horn, I think from an F350. Really loud, coupled with the existing high note LR horn. Made a few modifications to get it to fit but I prefer it to the beep-beep that was there before. Thanks to any/all that responded to my plight.

Jim

Morris
A frame of reference for a 118 dBa Hella horn is a typical emergency vehicle siren is 115 dBa.
A definite attention getter, I reckon.