What's new

Importing Africa to the US.

Ietp

Any of you guys have experience importing cars to the US?

I'm going to be in South Africa this summer and instead of renting,,,I was thinking about buying an old Land Curiser or something and shipping it back to the US. I understand some of the rules, 25 years old and some of the tax info.

Just wondering if it is worth the hassle.

Jim

Clymber

i know nothing about the rules/laws or tax issues but its worth it get an older diesel land cruiser and build it over there

slvyj

I imported a 75 FJ40 from Central America. At the time I lived in Virginia, biggest hassle was getting a title/registration with the State.

Morris Yarnell

I am aware of the 25 year rule but I knew that to be true only for military vehicles from another country.
That may not be the issue for a civilian vehicle. I would be willing to bet the local rules would apply more, like the EPA, as many do not meet the US standards. Some states may not allow you to go through the registration process.

slvyj

In the end was it worth the cost?
Hard to say, things have changed and couldn't enjoy as much as I wish, thinking about selling it. Understand, the cost of the vehicle might be cheap but you can end up paying a lot for shipping. Also, finding a vehicle in a third would country that has been taken care of will be tough. What country or region of Africa are you going to? I've been to West Africa, Togo specifically is the best place to find a vehicle.

slvyj

I am aware of the 25 year rule but I knew that to be true only for military vehicles from another country.
That may not be the issue for a civilian vehicle. I would be willing to bet the local rules would apply more, like the EPA, as many do not meet the US standards. Some states may not allow you to go through the registration process.
Any vehicle older than 25 years can be imported. You could run into problems with State regs mainly on emissions. My 75 FJ40 does not have any emission equipment that was standard on U.S. 75 FJ40 such as a smog pump and I'm told the carburetor is different. State of Virginia and Colorado have emission testing but you are exempt when registering the vehicle as collector or historical. California I've heard is the problem state, 73 and newer require emission testing.

Brandon

California I've heard is the problem state
Sounds about right!

And would it depend on where you register it in CO? since only a few counties have regular emissions, or is it something you have to do when importing?

slvyj

I live in the Springs so no emissions and when I moved here I had already titled the vehicle in Virginia so it was a simple transfer between states. In Virginia, once I had the title, to register the vehicle, I had to self certify that it met all requirements such as safety and emissions. Keep in mind, collector vehicle registration in Colorado is for three years.

Morris Yarnell

I thought it might be different for other types of vehicles. Just that for the older military vehicles it was 5 years. Cost more up front but amortized over the time it came out less considering the cost of tune ups before emissions and the actual emission test every year.
There was only one shop in Denver that was able to do Pinzgauers emission tests as the equipment is rather specific, or rather the vehicle is. Could not take it to the official state facility. It was not just plug 'n play.
Most people don't think about the facility all that much.