What's new

No Excuses Camping Trip 6/10/17

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
The annual No Excuses Camping Trip is back!

Everyone seems to have an excuse to not go on an overnight trip, it's too far, too long, too cold, rig not ready, whatever.

Well there is no excuse for missing this trip, it's a single night just south of Fairplay. The only hard part of this is finding the campsite since I'm only going to give you GPS coordinates and if you can't find a spot off coordinates then you shouldn't be out in the woods.

You can come up whenever you want so it can fit around your schedule. The camping spot is a nice size field tucked away from the road but the road is drivable by 2 wheel drive so getting there isn't a problem. Sunday you can brake camp and head home whenever you want so you can still have a day to get stuff done.

The camping location is 39.086304, -106.100536

So that's the deal, as easy and simple as possible and nothing special needed. There should be no excuse to getting out for one night so I'll see you all there.

RSVP Here: https://www.meetup.com/Rocky-Mountain-Overland/events/240514164/

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
I have a excuse. Having a tooth extracted on Friday. Probably will be hopped up on Vicodin and unable to drive.

REDONE

Sweet! It's my wife's birthday weekend so it will be her decision, but I bet she's on board! It'll be a good chance to shake the winter dust off our gear.:)

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. Here's the full list.
-LF wheel bearing is trashed (found out tonight)
-Cargo area completely torn apart to rewire auxiliary electrical. No time to get to this anytime soon.
-After replacing my front wheel bearings, working on Johns Audi tomorrow and Thursday night ahead of tooth extraction on Friday.
-Installing new air conditioner Saturday morning in my house. While on aforementioned Vicodin
-Working on Mikes D2 Sunday.

After that is all done need to find time to take a look at Ben's Jeep and Your 3.9 swap. :D

Swank1975

HAHA. Don't get all defensive man. I was just busting your chops.. I'm likely not camping this weekend either. We went up to Tarryall last weekend and the wife was super uncomfortable (helps me push her toward RTT purchase for comfort). Until then I'll have a difficult time getting her in the tent on the air mattress she insists on using for a while.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
I know ;)
We did the air mattress route (went through 5 of them, all have pinhole leaks). After waking up on a deflated mattress for the last time we went RTT and haven't looked back. We still use 3.5" self inflating REI pads on top of the factory foam mattress. Feels almost like home.

Swank1975

Tarryall has tons of great easy trails that people pull their bumper pull campers up to park and ride dirt bikes and ATVs on. It's not a 4wheeling area but it's pretty with some great views. It was frustrating to see how trashed out some of the camp sites are. We wanted to scout it out for atv use later when my back is recovered from surgery.

Morris Yarnell

I will also be joining the non-camp contingent as we have relatives here from Germany and abandoning them to go camping would be very uncool, as much as I would like to go.

AJVan64

Anyone checking: Change in plan. New location is 39.103648,-106.158678

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morris Yarnell

If I would have left for this I would have been very discouraged to be in the wrong place because of a last second change in plans.
Hope the trip is/was a great adventure and that there will be lots of pics and stories to tell.

ExplorerTom

It wasn't a big deal. The original spot had a 5th wheel camper dropped with an aggressive dog on a long lead. Ben sat at the planned location and directed everyone 5.4 miles up the road to the new location. He sat there for like 6 hours.

About 30 people made this year's trip. It was a good time with old friends and new friends.

AJVan64

We had a pretty great time, guys! The campsite turned out excellent, definitely a place to return to! (39.104026, -106.159076) Plenty of room for a whole gaggle of rigs to set up and enjoy the scenery. Won't disappoint!

Sunday a few of us went to the old roundabout in Como and headed up Boreas Pass. Instead of the road all the way down in to Breck, we took 'Pennsylvania Gulch' down. Luckily we ended up having some fun clearing a tree or 2 and plowing through the snow drifts that remained in the shade of the trees.

A few pics from the weekend through my lens:
Campfire.jpg
PennsylvaniaGulch2.JPG
Snowdrift.jpeg
T4R and Jeep.jpeg
Pennsylvania Gulch1.jpg
Fearless leaders.JPG
'13Trail.jpg
Rook.JPG
Sportsmobile.jpeg
Piper.jpeg

comtn4x4

Any have any kids coming? Rome is 9 and hoping for someone that age. The girls are opting out unfortunately

ExplorerTom

Yes. But it's the one referenced in the MeetUp invite.

I'd have kids with me if I were going. But I'm not, so........ Cool story, bro.......