What's new

Off-road/Overland trailer

Thatwhitejk

My take at a small trailer I would be able to take on the trail that would hold up to the wheeling and elements! Follow along as I upload my build process!

Vid 1 -

Vid 2 -

Vid 3 -

Vid 4 -

Vid 5 -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morris Yarnell

At last a post worthy of the time to follow it. Great job. Knowing you are freezing off various parts of your body you are accomplishing a fine build.
thanks for posting.

Thatwhitejk

At last a post worthy of the time to follow it. Great job. Knowing you are freezing off various parts of your body you are accomplishing a fine build.
thanks for posting.
Yeah I don’t know why I put up with all this snow, but I wouldn’t get away from it if I could. But thank you!!! It’s definitely a process, but I’m having a great time and learning quite a bit about Welding, something I never thought I would enjoy doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checking out this video. Nice work! I still can't get on board with the trailer though.... I totally get it, and the comfort, utility, spare stuff, all makes sense, but I can't bring myself to do it. Is it really as bad as I think it is or am I imagining things?

Morris Yarnell

I have pulled trailers before but I really suck at going in reverse with a trailer so I avoid them if at all possible. They can be a real problem on a tight trail especially if I discover that I must turn around for some reason.
I have one but it has been sitting idle for years. I have been able to maneuver things in and on the LR to carry everything I need but have had to pare down my requirements for gear to do that.

Thatwhitejk

Just checking out this video. Nice work! I still can't get on board with the trailer though.... I totally get it, and the comfort, utility, spare stuff, all makes sense, but I can't bring myself to do it. Is it really as bad as I think it is or am I imagining things?
If I had a little larger vehicle, say a 4 door Jeep or Tacoma, I probably wouldn't have invested the time right now to build a trailer, but it has always been something I knew I would of enjoyed doing. Sort of just worked out for me this way.

I've learned that the more space you have the greater possibility there is to carry more crap. I like to keep it simple.

For me it's more or less so I don't have to carry everything in my Jeep. More Room for another passenger as of right no I don't drive with my rear seats in. It does in retrospect carry more room, but it doesn't mean i'll always have it full. But you're right there is potential for me to haul more then I would need to.

Thatwhitejk

I have pulled trailers before but I really suck at going in reverse with a trailer so I avoid them if at all possible. They can be a real problem on a tight trail especially if I discover that I must turn around for some reason.
I have one but it has been sitting idle for years. I have been able to maneuver things in and on the LR to carry everything I need but have had to pare down my requirements for gear to do that.
This will be a first for me as well. I've hauled much larger trailers.. along open highways though. So I don't really know what to expect when Im on the trail. It's also another reason as to why I built it a little smaller and lighter than most trailers I personally see being built, should be a little easier to maneuver if I have to unhook it.

And there is another great benefit to it. If you can find a good spot, you can set that trailer up and disconnect and not worry about setting up the stupid tent every night. I get it for sure. Still not there yet myself. Still looking at the GLadiator and what cool campers they will come out with. I think that will be my way eventually

Morris Yarnell

I have seen the Jeep set up with a roof that raises to form a tent accessible from the inside that really seems like a good alternative to a roof or ground tent. But have never asked the price as I don't own a Jeep.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
I like trailers. They just scare me on shelf roads. Can’t get past the feeling it would drag me off the face of a mountain.

ExplorerTom

And at a certain point, less is more.

The basecamp argument: since I’ve been “overlanding” I haven’t set up camp in the same spot twice (except for possibly the No Excuses- but those are a year apart). I have gone to Moab, set up camp and then gone 4wheeling for several days. But 4wheeling in Moab is not overlanding.

My brother inlaw has a nice Blue Ridge Expedition Trailer. If you go to their website, his is the green one with the bikes on the front that scrolls through on the main page.

At some point a trailer might be nice, especially if offspring are introduced... If it were up to me I would sleep on the ground, but the lady friend wouldn't like that.