What's new

Ouray 2017

REDONE

I know I'm not a hard-core overlander (I'm a self described Medium-Core Adventurer), but since this was a "self-sufficient trip to experience remote locales and cultures" it counts! ;)

My Jeep group has gathered in Ouray, CO the 3rd week of July every year since 2002 (and the CO specific group before that). I've been able to make it in 2004, 2010, 2012, and 2014-17. Every year it's great, even though the FJ Summit keeps trying to cramp our style. I don't think it will be called the "FJ Summit" much longer, since FJs were outnumbered 2-1 by new TuRD Pros. :D

In all though, I'm happy with how that group has evolved! In the beginning they were just a massive drag. It took them HOURS to get a group over a dry creekbed as they'd spot eachother over gravel and take 5000 pics of each other doing it. They'd cruise around with their windows rolled up and refuse to wave or acknowledge any other vehicles on the trail, let alone make room for someone to pass (in either direction!). That's mostly gone. The Yota's this year were fast(er) moving, had their windows down for that fresh mountain air, and were honestly wheeling! There were two roll-overs that I know of, and while roll-overs aren't a criteria for wheeling, it shows that they really are getting out there and pushing it (as opposed to spotting each other through a 5" deep puddle).

The only kinda-douchy Yota thing I saw was on the drive out. I was passed by an FJ (with the manditory snorkle) and noticed the front mounted GoPro was FACING the CAB. I know he(/she, didn't look at the driver) was with the summit because they had the official "FJ Summit 2017" trasharoo on the spare. That's another thing I like about the FJ Summit, I hold Tread Lightly highly. They do still have an issue with blocking the trail during their fashion-shoots though. :mad:

Here's what Google Assistant did to make at least one of pics worth sharing:

I'm already planning my next trip. Headed to Dinosaur National Monument the weekend before the eclipse! Going to stay at the Green River Campground sat-sun, then Sunday night in Rawlins, WY. Monday morning we'll shoot up into the badlands to get in the path of totality. Once it's over, it's just a long miserable drive back down to Denver to start the week on Tuesday.:)

Going to head for altitude this weekend too, but without reservations or prior planning, it will probably end up at the family cabin in Bailey. Oh well, you take what you can get!;)

REDONE

Haha! More frustration than hate. First time I went the pinzgauers were there. Second time it was Nissan Xterras of all things (yeah, they had enough enthusiasts to warrant an official get-together!). Then the 'cruiser losers showed up and it's been them ever since.

Also, I know it's a small number of them that's affecting the image of the whole. Basic law of Judas: in any group of 12, one is an ash hat. I just have to telling myself that it's their vacation too. If they need to block the trail for half an hour while all 20 of them lines up for a pic in front of the trailhead sign, that's alright. There's worse places to be stuck for half an hour.

We did make it to the Bailey cabin, I'm only on here because all my dogs and girls have passed out for a nap. But it looks like the rain is letting up so I'm going outside to smell it.:)

REDONE

Yep! Rain let up for a bit but it's started back up again. Good to have a cabin. My poor wife (engineering project manager) has had a heck of a week. Daughter is 19 months old, and Wrangler (white dog) is a total sissy outdoors and Levi (black dog) is 13 years old. Here I sit, under the porch with some wild turkey in a zero gravity chair while my loved ones doze off, listening to the rain drops in the pine needles by the light is a candle lantern. All is right in the world. I hope you all get a breath of this soon, I just might fall asleep out here.:cool:

Morris Yarnell

The Pinzgauer club has their Treffen the third week of July every year. Mostly in the Ouray area because of the large camping area and the availability of it close to there.
There are a lot of them but, they don't usually block up trails. Sorry to hear that they did that.

I have thought about the dinosaur area for years but have not had the time to go up there. Would be a great trip.

REDONE

The pinz guys didn't plug up anything! They were cool as cucumbers. I was using them and the Xterras as examples of the diversity that was replaced by the summit.
That said, the summit does some good stuff too, with all the money the cruiser losers pay to participate, quite a bit goes into the local community.

Morris Yarnell

Thanks for your clarification. That used to be my group when I had my pinz and I hoped nothing had changed from the great and trail wise group I knew them to be.
I went on the Treffen with them last year but not this year.

REDONE

Yeah, the Pinz group really is awesome. My Jeep group is the "Full Size Jeep" group (the SJs). We felt a lot of affinity for the Pinz group since we all wheel vintage, obscure vehicles. Obviously the Pinz in more vintage and obscure than our rides, but we all still felt like they were extended family.:) my favorite was seeing a "min-pinz" in the back of a regular Pinz and thinking how funny it would be too have a Pinz power wheels in the back of the min-pinz and then an RC pinz in the back of that.:confused: pinzception!:D
On another positive note about the FJ Summit: my group of about 30 Full Size Jeepers (it was a light year for us) raised $1800~ for Ouray Mountain Rescue between our shirt sales and raffle. The FJers I heard raised almost 10 times that, and ORM is just one of the things they raised money for.:)

Morris Yarnell

When I was in the club one of the guys had an RC pinz 710M. The mini is called a Haflinger. Originally designed to be able to traverse the very narrow European streets that some towns have. Weighed in at about 1300 pounds and abel to carry about 2000 pounds. I have always wanted one but they are very difficult to obtain and cost is out of this boy's range.
Thanks for your kind words about the group. When I see some of my old friends I will convey your thoughts.