What's new

SW CO trip in June; looking for Alpine loop recommendations

Kerrymann

Hi all,
I am finishing up plans for a 1.5-2 week trip through south western Colorado and looking for some recommendations for the Alpine loop. We will be doing it in mid to late June and would be happy to meet up with other overlanders on the way. We will be doing half camping half hotels. Going to start from Denver heading south to Medano Pass (did it last year the other direction), the dunes, Cumbres-Toltec RR, Pagosa Springs, Mesa Verde, and wheeling camping in the Ouray area. We are in our full size silverado ext (4wd, 3" lift on 33s, wildernest) and I know that some of the Alpine Loop trails are a no-go for full size rigs. Looking to hit the waterfalls around there (Whitmore Falls, Nellie Creek Falls, Bridal Veil Falls) and at least one night of backcountry camping though the wife and kids wouldn't complain about having a vault toilet to use :) so camp site recommendations are more than welcome though my goal is to get away from people.

Kerry Manning

Morris Yarnell

The Alpine Loop in mid June is not going to get you away from people. The only issue I had on the loop were the switchbacks at the far end ( I started in Lake City) but still doable in a Pinzgauer 710M.

Kerrymann

"The Alpine Loop in mid June is not going to get you away from people. "
Very true. Sadly you can say that about a lot of Colorado these days......

I should have said in the alpine loop "area". We are going to do at least most of the loop and expect it will be busy. Also looking at other places to go, in particular the best place for camping. I am hoping that Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass, Owl Creek Pass will be less busy but I haven't done any wheeling in the area so open to suggestions. It was looking like Whitmore Falls and even more Nellie Creek Falls wouldn't be too crowded?

Thanks,
Kerry

Morris Yarnell

View attachment 2024 View attachment 2024 View attachment 2024
DSC00072.JPG
DSC00074.JPG
DSC00075.JPG
DSC00076.JPG
I do recall that there was/is an abandoned mining area when we went through the loop that might hold the promise of dispersed camping. There are several structures to explore (there is danger in abandoned structures) and that might be worth your time. We were traveling over a pass that has lots of open grassy area and just beyond there along the creek was the mining camp. Having never been there before we camped in the open area along the road and found the camp the next day. Would have been better to have found it first. We were following the COBDR maps that one of the group had obtained.