What's new

Windows Up or Windows Down?

ExplorerTom

When you are on the trail, what do you prefer: windows up or down?

Me, I like them down. Having them down helps me to feel like I’m actually outside. Sure if can get dirty inside, but I don’t mind. Having them up I feel too insulated from what’s going on.

What say you?

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on weather and what position I’m in. If I’m leading and it’s not hot as hell I’ll roll them down.

Morris Yarnell

Usually like to be far back so that the dust has dissipated a bit. Usually windows up. The farther back I am the easier to keep the windows down.

Weather dependent and trail dependent. That being said, if there are obstacles I'm usually sticking my head out the windows anyway.

ExplorerTom

Weather dependent and trail dependent. That being said, if there are obstacles I'm usually sticking my head out the windows anyway.
This.

I’ve noticed some drivers will drive an obstacle without looking out their window. They don’t look confident when they are doing this. Early in my wheeling days, I would be practically hanging out of the window. When I’m with new wheelers, I tell them to do the same.

I guess if I can see one wheel I feel better. That being said, if I have my significant other/expert spotter with me, I trust her in where my wheels are going. Plus I like looking at her.

Morris Yarnell

There are times when hanging out the window might not be prudent. A good spotter is important but knowing your vehicle and by experience knowing where your wheels track is also very important. How wide you are and where the tires are going to pass or hit an obstacle is good information to have, is there anything below your vehicle that is going to be a problem for trail debris, a differential perhaps? Some vehicles have a 'pumpkin' in center, some to the right or left, important knowledge. Having the clearance to go over things in the trail is a blessing.

Natebert

I prefer windows down to experience nature more but will roll them up quickly for dust, sunburn, or nasty weather.
I used to put my head out the window a lot to see where my tires were but after a good amount of practice I know where my tires are and do it less. Still fun do sometimes though and the sounds are cool.