What's new

Winter gear from Overland Mag.

Morris Yarnell

Just received an add from Overland Journal and Expedition Portal showing the latest bling in overland gear. Not really a fan of so much gear that it looks like I would be taking more than I leave at home to live in a house. Huge TV in my van does not equate with an away from home adventure. Perhaps I am too far gone to be excited about those sort of things.

Jim

Being a pack rat, I struggle when it comes to loading down the vehicle with stuff I might need or just want. I keep reminding myself of a couple of things said by Antoine De Saint-Exupery:
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”
“He who would travel happily must travel light.”

Jim

Not really a fan of so much gear that it looks like I would be taking more than I leave at home to live in a house. Huge TV in my van does not equate with an away from home adventure.
Last year we went to the Solid Axle Summit. Stayed at the KOA in Ouray. We sleep in the back of the FJ60 which Mary fitted with privacy curtains. Our awning is a canvas tarp tied to the roof rack. We use Coleman folding camp stools and cook on a Coleman stove.
Right across the lane from us were a couple of huge motor homes. They had satellite antennas and outdoor screen rooms. They gave us some strange looks. I suspect we had as much fun as they did.

REDONE

Last year we went to the Solid Axle Summit. Stayed at the KOA in Ouray...
Right across the lane from us were a couple of huge motor homes. They had satellite antennas and outdoor screen rooms. They gave us some strange looks. I suspect we had as much fun as they did.
Are you talking about that gigantic blue Freightliner monster? Had the color-matching KJ based rockbuggy behind it? It also had a 40" TV on the OUTSIDE (that they fortunately only used during the day to watch Football in July somehow) I looked that RV up when I got home, cost $100k more than my house. The red&black Jayco (didn't know Jayco made 35' motorhomes, but it said so right on the side) was pretty fancy too. I intentionally made sure that neither of those things were in my pics, but now I wish I'd have gotten at least one, haha!
Also, where you back in the trees, SW corner? We were in the NE corner of the back 40, the Full Size Jeep group.;)
The blue monster was directly on the other side of my tent, towards the bathrooms.

Found it! It was this thing:
http://www.mhsrv.com/dynamax-rv/dynamax-dx3/?gclid=CjwKCAiAweXTBRAhEiwAmb3Xu6_NkzbiVUBCpcQeunu-0LR_xAYILpJiNLarhxULW8ueu2x1Y6o1qBoC1gEQAvD_BwE

Jim

I believe it was the SW corner. There were trees and a high bluff just to the south and off the KOA property.

Morris Yarnell

Wow. Those are some impressive prices. I have seen them before with Jeep in tow. Not exactly a down sizing effort but I am sure the comfort is worth the gas milage. I would sell my house and just travel if I had one, besides no place to keep at my home.

REDONE

I'm with you Morris. It's not my cup of tea right now, but I won't say "never". A day may come when that's just what I need, it's just not a day I can see from here.:)

Jim

This was not at KOA but is how we camp at this time. Not knocking the big motor homes but I would not want to drive one of them.

IMG_1639_RS.jpg

Morris Yarnell

Big fan of your simple set up. It is just enough.

Noticing the top of your snorkel, does it filter out the fine particles out sufficiently?

Jim

Big fan of your simple set up. It is just enough.
Noticing the top of your snorkel, does it filter out the fine particles out sufficiently?
The camping set-up is adequate and comfortable enough for most situations. Of course, we are fair weather campers so far as weather predictions turn out to be accurate.
That is a Donaldson cyclonic pre-cleaner on the snorkel intake. The plastic has yellowed but I can see insects, leaves and other large pieces of debris spinning around in there. It is designed so that when RPMs are low, small particles like dust (and pureed leaves and bugs) fall out the bottom. I have no way to estimate how much it prevents from reaching the filter. If I was still working I could sneak it into the filter lab and run an actual test on it. Donaldson has performance specs on its website, for whatever that is worth.
In any event, it definitely looks "expedition". The entire vehicle is an overlanding cliche. A Toyota Camel Trophy Land Rover wannabe.
But I like it.

Morris Yarnell

Thanks,
Yesterday I ordered a similar top for my snorkel. The Safari snorkel came with the standard cobra head looking thing that is no more than a leaf and rain catcher. Hope the new one keeps out the dust.

REDONE

This was not at KOA but is how we camp at this time. Not knocking the big motor homes but I would not want to drive one of them.
I hear ya! I figure, that if a day comes when that's what I want, by then it'll probably drive itself.:D